recipe from Kevin Lee Jacobs, A Garden for the House
Ingredients for about 2 dozen, 2 inch diameter cookies
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
4 teaspoons fresh lavender buds, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour, scooped and leveled
1 cup confectioners sugar, blended with just enough water to achieve a spreadable consistency
- Using a food processor, a blender, or a mortar and pestle, grind the sugar and lavender petals together.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer outfitted with a paddle, beat the lavender, sugar and butter at low speed until smooth. Then add the flour and beat until combined. Mixing is complete when there are no visible lumps of butter in the dough.
- Form the dough into a rough disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 1/4 inch thick circle; cut out cookie shapes with a round, 2 inch diameter cutter. Using a flat spatula, transfer the rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake on the middle rack of a pre-heated 300 degree oven just until the sides of the cookies begin to color – 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Decorate with the optional glaze; sprinkle with lavender petals.