Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet peppers, tomatillos, Chinese cabbage, eggplant and hot peppers.
Flowers, herbs, cherry tomatoes, green and wax beans.
We are anticipating that some of you may not be that familiar with utilizing tomatillos, and/or eggplant that regularly. I will be posting links to some great recipes below.
Tomatillo– Learn more about this wonderful “little tomato“, which is the literal translation for tomatillo. You are probably most familiar with it in the form it is most often served, as salsa verde , with a side of chips. We here at Sandbrook Meadow like to live a little on the wild side of life, so when we are given tomatillos we like to think a little outside of the box. We hope you try some of the following recipes. We have tried some, but not all of them…let us know your favorite, or a new one we don’t even know about!
- Fettuccine with tomatillo and cilantro pesto
- Salsa verde sliders with avocado mayo
- Scrambled eggs with tomatillos
- Tomatill Chicken Stew
- Maria Verde (a new take on the bloody mary)
- Salad with a creamy tomatillo dressing
- Mexican Pizza with corn, tomatillos and chipotle chiles
- Tomatillo-pepita gaspacho
- Chicken enchiladas verdes
- Roasted tomatillo shrimp tacos
- Chilled tomatillo and cucumber soup
Eggplant– Or “Aubergine” as I knew it growing up…Is native to India and generally falls in the “love it or leave it” family. We choose to love it and so should you!
- Baked eggplant burgers
- Roasted eggplant and chickpea soup
- Eggplant and smoked Gouda open-faced grilled sandwiches
- Mediterranean eggplant and barley salad
- Roasted eggplant soup
- Crisp eggplant chips
- Grilled eggplant and olive pizza
- Moroccan eggplant salad